The Breville smoker allows you to impart a rich smoky flavor to food like various meats in just 5 minutes. But its cold smoke system is delicate enough to smoke ice cream, salad, cheese, and even cocktails. Imagine all the meal and drink possibilities that you could be enjoying for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
The Breville smoking gun gives home chefs and bartender mixologists the power to add smoky flavors and aromas to food and cocktails.
The smaller and cheaper home alternative to the traditional, expensive restaurant smokers needs only a few minutes to give your food the smokiness that enhances all food.
There’s no prep work to the food or presoaking of the wood chips needed before smoking. It’s really as easy as adding wood chips and smoking in a few minutes.
- Related Article: Smoke Before Or After Sous Vide
Let’s get into the details of the food smoker and its features.
You’re going to have a lot of fun with this portable food smoker. The Breville smoker is a cold smoke system that comes with its own integrated stand, dual-flow air speed, a removable 17.5-inch silicone extender hose, and a detachable stainless steel burn chamber.
Cold Smoke System
The Breville smoking gun’s cold smoke system is gentler on foods because it doesn’t infuse flavors with heat. That allows you to smoke delicate food like ice cream and butter, and cocktail drinks. All on top of the meats and cheese that smokers are traditionally used for.
Do note that cold smoking doesn’t heat, cook, or preserve food.
Portable and Flexible Smoking
The Breville smoker gives you maximum flexibility and portability with your smoking. It’s lightweight, weighing only 0.75 pounds. You’re able to use the smoker with only one hand. It’s battery-operated, so it gives you the ability to carry it anywhere you want to use it, indoors and outdoors.
The integrated base provides a stable platform for the smoker, so it won’t tip over while smoking. While you may be smoking your ribs with hickory chips, the last thing you need is for the whole house to smell like hickory.
The long silicone tube is flexible and allows you to get under covers and saran wrap into all sorts of containers. You’ll be able to take precise aim when smoking.
The dual-flow airspeeds of 7.1 and 11.1 m/s allows you to control the smoke intensity, so you’re able to adjust how much smoky flavor you want on your food and drinks.
Removable Burning Chamber
The smoker works by filling the removable burn chamber with your favorite wood chip flavor and smoking your food. You can mix and match your wood chips and customize the flavors. In fact, you’re able to go beyond wood smoking chips and infuse smoky flavors from teas and spices, hay, dried flowers, and herbs too. How creative can you get with your smoking?
The removable burn chamber also makes it easy to load and unload wood chips. You’ll be able to quickly set up and clean up, so there’s no hassle to get the smoky flavors to enhance your food and drinks.
No tools are necessary when disassembling and assembling either. To clean, just wipe with a damp cloth. The burn chamber is dishwasher safe too, but I still prefer to wash it by hand.
- Manufacturer: Breville
- Item Weight: 0.75 pounds
- Product Dimension: 5 x 2.5 x 6.5 inches
- Batteries: 4 AA batteries required. (included)
How to Use the Breville Smoker – Guides
Smoking a Salad
- The Breville smoking gun works by filling the burn chamber with your favorite flavor of wood chip. But you can use anything, it doesn’t have to be wood chips, like the teas or spices mentioned earlier. Anything that has some flavor you’re interested in testing to impart on your food.
- There’s an internal fan that draws the smoke down through the chamber and out of this barrel. You can also attach this hose if you want to specifically aim smoke in a certain direction.
- The below image has the four different flavors of wood chips that you can buy separately through Breville’s Amazon store.
- This is one of the easiest ways to impart a smoky flavor on a spinach salad with Applewood chips. You take about a pinch or two and fill the smoking chamber.
- Turn on the Breville smoker and then light the chips with a lighter.
- So an easy technique is to simply aim the hose right over the food that you’d like to be smoked. But if you’d like a more concentrated flavor you can cover your food and to contain the smoke. The longer you leave the cover on, the more concentrated the smoky flavor will be, and also the bigger your big, smoky surprise when you lift the lid.
- Another great smoking technique is to put your food in a sealable bag and smoke it that way to concentrate the flavors.
- If you want to smoke some sea salt, this way will result in smoky salt that you can sprinkle over other food and impart that smoky flavor. The smoking chamber is packed with hickory chips here.
- Put the tube in the zip lock bag to really concentrate that flavor and it won’t take much time at all to smoke the salt.
- One of the most adventurous ways to use your smoky gun is for drinks. I’ve even seen people use tobacco to make a smoky Manhattan.
- Using Mesquite wood chips here to make a smoky Bloody Mary.
- Turn the Breville smoking gun on, light it and infuse that great smoky flavor. Give it a good shake to really mix in that smoky flavor and pour it in the glass with the celery garnish.
Now those are just a few uses of the Breville smoking gun. I’m sure you will find many other creative ways to add a smoky flavor to your favorite foods, including popcorn!
Extra edge to your cooking!
Smoking is a thousand-year-old technique for preserving meat and fish. In the old days, the food was hung in the chimney, so they could stay for months. Today we smoke the food for a great taste experience and because it is fun. With the small wonder of Sage, you can quickly and easily add the extra touch to your food without the use of heat.
Overall this handheld kitchen smoker is one of the best accessories to sous vide cookers to get added flavors. Once you’ve finished getting your sous vide starter kit together, the food smoker might be the first add-on you get.
I suggest using the Breville Smoking Gun for recipes such as smoked cheese, smoked butter/sauces, and even desserts.