Lobster tail is among the most popular and exclusive dishes to eat at a gourmet restaurant. Lobster tail is famous for its difficult cooking process, since the more you cook it, the harder its meat will become.
This sous vide lobster tail recipe will get you that gourmet taste at home.
Sous Vide Lobster Tail Recipe
- Sous Vide Cooker
- Sous Vide Container
- Large Wooden Stick
- Ice Bath
- Large Pot
- 1 Live Lobster
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Ounce (30 grams) Salt
- 1.7 Ounces (50 grams) Butter
- Fill a pot with water and put it over Medium heat. Bring it to a boil.
- In the meantime, we have to kill the lobster first, here’s how to do it the most humane way possible.
- Lay the lobster on your table, and get a large knife. On the lobster’s head you’ll find a small incision, now place the point of the knife on it. Press hard with the tip of the knife and go through the whole head.
- At this point the lobster is ready, and hasn’t felt any pain. Stick the wooden stick up the tail, starting from lower side of the fin. This helps prevent the lobster tail from rolling on itself while cooking.
- Put the salt in the boiling water, and then submerge the lobster. Be precise as this step will ensure getting the meat off the shell.
- Start boiling for 8 minutes. While it's boiling, fill a bowl with ice and water.
- Once the 8 minutes are up, take the lobster out of the boiling water and immediately put it into the ice bath. This will cause a thermic shock and allow you to get the meat off the shell without any effort.
- Take the lobster out and start removing other parts of the lobster.
- Start by twisting and turning the lobster head to detach it. Do the same with the lobster's front legs.
- Take the tail, and cut around the shell with the scissors. Peel the shell off, and you will get the lobster tail.
- You can also break the lobsters claws, and get more meat from them, since every part of the lobster is filled with meat. Use your scissors for it.
- Take the stick off, and place the lobster tail inside a vacuum bag with rosemary, olive oil and 1 tsp of salt.
- Seal the bag and cook in the sous vide cooker at 55°C / 131°F for 17 minutes.
- Once the lobster is cooked, put a pan over medium heat, with 0.7 oz. (20 gr) of butter and dry the lobster down, toss it in the pan andslowly cook for about 3 minutes.
Check out some of the other popular recipes.