Want a super juicy chicken?
This sous vide chicken breast recipe will explain how to cook the most tender and flavorful chicken breasts to complete any Caesar salad or sandwich.
Chicken has a high content of albumins, the same protein as egg white, so it’s highly suggested in keto diet. This recipe will give you a solid base to build your own recipes with chicken breasts.
Sous Vide Chicken Breast Recipe
- Sous Vide Cooker
- Sous Vide Container
- Vacuum Sealer
- 2 Vacuum Seal Bags
- 1 Whole Chicken Breast
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Carrot
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Set the sous vide cooker to 68°C / 154.4°F and pre-heat the water.
- If you haven't divided the whole chicken breast in two parts yet:Remove the small bones on the top inner part first (if present). Then cut straight down through the center to get two perfect chicken breasts, 1 serving each.
- Insert the chicken breasts in two separate vacuum bags.
- Add one half tsp of sugar and salt into each bag. Divide the rest of the ingredients into each bag.
- Carefully vacuum seal the two bags.
- We can now cook the chicken breasts. Let the chicken breasts cook for 2 hours, at the constant temperature of 68°C / 154.4°F.
- When the chicken is ready, take them out of the bags and allow them to cool down.
- The next step is to seal the breasts in a hot skillet. Put the skillet over high heat and put 1 tbsp of olive oil in it.
- Dry the chicken breast and toss it on the hot skillet, roasting it for 30 seconds per side.
- Now season with salt and pepper to your preference.
- The sous vide chicken breasts are ready to garnish your salads or be eaten as you like.
Why Sous Vide Cook Chicken Breast?
Traditional methods of cooking chicken is easy, so why use the sous vide method to cook it? Chicken has texture and flavor that you just can’t attain using high-heat and short time cooking methods.
Traditional chicken when cooked is a whole, or half, bird that is cooked on high heat. As a result, the cooking time is not uniform, making it difficult to determine the temperature throughout the meat. This can be a problem because all parts of the kitchen may not be cooked.
Sous vide cooking is perfect for those who don’t want to heat up their kitchen to get their food cooked perfectly, because all you need to do is set the temperature and time, and then wait for the magic to be done.
It turns out that if you cook chicken in a sealed bag at a lower temperature and longer time, the cooked chicken actually tastes better and you get more juice in your chicken.
Cooking Temperature for Sous Vide Chicken Breast
Cooking chicken should be done to a safe temperature to ensure the food is not contaminated with food-borne illness.
Sous Vide Chicken and Food Safety
In truth, there is no such thing as a safe cooking temperature for meat. Cooking temperatures affect the quality of your meat, but you can safely cook your meat to any desired temperature.
You’ve heard that in order to make sure poultry is safe to eat, it should be cooked to a temperature of at least 165°F. Yet, under the right conditions and at the right temperatures, sous vide–style precision cooking can take place below the 140°F mark. Most sous vide chicken recipes are in the 145–155°F (63–68°C) range, well below the 165°F mark. Food safety comes comes from pasteurization because of the longer cooking times.
Pasteurization Times for Chicken
The basic idea is the same: the hotter you get, the quicker bacteria die and the faster the rate of bacteria dying increases. At 165 degrees Fahrenheit, you achieve pasteurization almost instantly.
At a temperature of 136 degrees Fahrenheit, the bacteria will die off in over an hour. There are several options when it comes to pasteurizing chicken. You can even pasteurize at temperatures down to 130°F (54°C), but I do not recommend it. It’s best to cook at higher temperatures of 150-155°F if you sous vide.
Can You Sous Vide Frozen Chicken Breast?
Yes, you can definitely sous vide chicken breast from frozen. The only thing you’ll have to change is the cook time. For frozen chicken breasts cooked sous vide, it is important to add additional cooking time by an hour or so. This will give you breasts that are cooked to perfection.
Searing Sous Vide Chicken Breast
Cooking sous vide is the best way to prepare meats, poultry, and fish. But, there’s more to it than just the sous vide part. Finishing off your chicken with a good sear is just as important to lock in the great juices.
Making your own home cooked meals is the easiest way to ensure that your food is wholesome, fresh and full of flavor.
Learn the best methods to sear in the How to Sear Sous Vide Guide.
Is Sous Vide Chicken Breast Healthy?
Chicken breasts are one of the healthiest foods that you can eat. They’re easy to cook, they’re delicious, and they’re a great source of protein.
One chicken breast is around 170 calories with little carbs and sugars. It’s also low in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium.
Other great sous vide recipes to try out:
1 thought on “Sous Vide Chicken Breast Recipe”
Great recipe for chicken breasts